Could bad DIY decrease the value of your home?

Home ImprovementThe latest news suggests that poor DIY can lower the sale price of a property by an average 11%, which equates at a loss of £30k on the average home, rising to over £60k in London.

Homeowners could be taking thousands off the value of their homes by doing their own shoddy DIY work. A new study by Trustmark, the government endorsed ‘find a tradesmen’ scheme, has identified that nine out of ten potential buyers would be put off if they spotted dodgy work and more than half would be put off buying the property completely.

We all have a feeling of accomplishment when it comes to completing a DIY project, but homeowners should be wary of attempting tasks that are beyond their skills set. Some of the most off-putting DIY flaws are faulty wiring and badly located electrical sockets.

This is also dangerous to an untrained person and should only be attempted by an expert. The worst cases are often found in kitchens where costs have been cut, old cables used and covered with new tiles are just a few issues seen by traders involved in the survey.

Other DIY issues pointed out were ill-fitted or unfinished kitchen units and squeaky floorboards. Unless you know what it is you’re taking on, the term DIY could end up standing for ‘devalue it yourself’.

avatar
Posted by: Samantha Turner-Meyern Categories: Home Improvement, Property Market, Selling Property, Uncategorized Tags: , , , , 5 Comments

5 Responses to Could bad DIY decrease the value of your home?

  1. avatar Dave says:

    I note the article suggests that wiring should never be attempted by an expert!

  2. avatar Ian Adams says:

    Don’t think that this is a one way street, to name a few of the horrors found in our house which we purchased from new.
    Earth bond just tucked behind skirting board so that it looked as if it was connected.
    When I started to renovate our en-suite bathroom, an addition built by a recognised builder, the tiles came off in sheets, it did mean that there was no need to re-plaster though.
    The soil pipe in the en-suite started leaking because it did not align properly and the ribbed seal was distorted, a bodge with polyurethane foam had failed.
    The mains lights in the bathroom were metal and had no connection to earth. The door failed on the double garage, when a new one was installed it was pointed out that the floor was 50mm out of level, side to side. The floor had to be broken out and a new one installed to prevent the new door failing. The cast iron gas pipe to the lounge was leaking, it was repaired by the builder, 20 years later the repair was found to be still leaking, this was only discovered because the floorboards were lifted and the gas could be smelt.

  3. avatar Mike Clements says:

    If electrical work is “also dangerous to an untrained person and should never be attempted by an expert”, what hope have we got. Who should we go to if we want work done